Around 1903 – 1905 the first settlers in the West Bend district were Ukrainian farmers. In 1929 a general store was established in town. Six years later it had a rail station, three general stores, two blacksmiths, a restaurant, community hall, lumber yard, post office, three elevators, and four machinery agents. West Bend became a village in 1944 and the school was built in 1946.
However, by the late 1970s the town was being to decline. Its population was just 25 in 1980 and there were no stores by 1981. In 1982 the last train stopped in West Bend and the following year the tracks were removed.
The Model Farm Church, the Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary was built in 1909 just east of the current hamlet. It was rebuilt in 1933.