Most people randomize their Ipod and list the songs which come up. In this twist I am selecting ten songs each with an annotation describing when, how, and why it is significant to my music interests.
1. Herman’s Hermits “Henry the VIII” – In my childhood years my parents frequently listened to classic rock on vinyl. To supplement my interest in this genre a local AM radio station played hits from the 50s, 60s, and 70s. This included bands such as the Rolling Stones, Dave Clark Five, BTO, The Who, and the Stampeders.
2. Cinderella “Shelter Me” – As a preteen and into my teenage years my musical interests where influenced by my older brother, Shawn, and his friend who were metal heads at the time. Glam metal bands like Poison, Kix, Motley Crue, Extreme, Cinderella, and Skid Row dominated the stereo.
3. Metallica “Hero of the Day” – In high school and on into university, friends and mainstream music shaped my musical tastes. At the time, Metallica “Load” had been released and I had the opportunity to see them on tour in Saskatoon. Other bands included Godsmack, AC/DC, Megadeth, and Korn.
4. Headstones “Unsound” – During my university years I attended three performances by the Headstones. This Canadian hard rock band has recently regrouped and released an album after a ten year hiatus.
5. The Doors “Peace Frog” – While working part time as a student, a couple coworkers of mine assisted my revisitation of classic rock/psychedelic bands. This included The Doors, Led Zeppelin, and The Beatles.
6. Led Zeppelin “Gallows Pole” – see above
7. Flogging Molly “Requiem for a Dying Song” – My brother, Mike, was transient during his university years often spending parts of the summers at my apartment. I frequently sampled his large cd collection which included Flogging Molly and The Dropkick Murphies, both Irish punk rock bands.
8. Michael Franti and Spearhead “Time to Come Home” – My first exposure to Franti was at the 2007 Regina Folk Festival. He also performed the following year.
9. Taj Mahal “Statesboro Blues” I’m unsure how I became a fan of the blues. It began a few years ago and today Joe Bonamassa, Matt Andersen, and Jonny Lang can be found in my music collection.
10. AWOLNATION “Soul Wars” – Another band/genre influenced by my brother, Mike. I’m a fan of alternative rock bands that are not afraid to deviate from the norm and create their own distinct style and sound.