The second Jane’ s walk I attended was along 14th Avenue. We began at the site of Strathcona School; now Strathcona Centre on 14th Avenue and Broad Street. It was built in 1910 by Storey and Van Egmond. The school closed in 1984 and was destroyed in 1990.
The area along 14th Avenue from Broad Street to Albert Street features many apartment buildings. Most of these apartments were constructed on the south or north end lots of the blocks facing 14th Avenue due to a city zoning bylaw. Buildings in interior lots could not exceed 50% of the lot’s area. On the end lots the bylaw allowed up to 70%. When these apartments were built in the early 1900s, many middle and upper class citizens lived there including the owners.
The first apartment building we observed was the Eddy Apartments. It was designed in 1912-13 by Storey and Van Egmond. It was build and named after William Eddy, mayor of Regina from 1896-7.
Just a couple blocks east of the Eddy Apartments are the Linden Manor and Chateau Apartments. The Chateau Apartments were built in 1927 by Poole Construction. It featured 30 apartments with 3-5 bedrooms each. Notice the decorative architecture on the roof of the building. The Chateau included modern innovations of the time: soft water system, murphy beds, garbage chutes, electric stoves, and refrigerators. Linden Manor was build in 1928 with Storey and Van Egmond as architects to complement the Chateau.
On the southwest corner of Cornwall Street and 14th Avenue are the Bartleman Apartments. It was built in 1914 with Storey and Van Egmond in charge of design. It has rusticated concrete for a foundation and a cornice. They were built by James Bartleman a contractor who moved to Saskatchewan from Ontario in the 1880s.
Robert Williamson was a local real estate agent in the 1900s. His house stood on the northeast corner of Lorne Street and 15th Avenue. In 1912 it was destroyed by the Regina Tornado. In its place apartments were built on the western half of the lot and Williamson’s new house on the eastern side. In 1929 his house was replaced by an addition to the apartment. The western apartment plans were drafted by Storey and Van Egmond. The south side features a staircase fire exit which also serves as balconies.
Our tour ended two blocks east at Central Park. The park is named after Central Collegiate which stood across the park on 15th Avenue. Central Collegiate was build in 1908 as the first Regina high school. It closed in 1985 and was dissembled in 1996. The front facade was incorporated into the design of Winston Knoll Collegiate in north Regina. Central Collegiate used the park as an athletic field.
In 1901 the Victoria Hospital was built where the current park is. Its construction was funded by the Victorian Order of Nurses and relied on public donations. By 1907 patient demand required the city to take over the hospital. Victoria Hospital closed when the Regina General Hospital was completed in 1911. The building served other purposes over the years; a men’s residence, a high school, and a home for incurables. The building was demolished in 1932. Central Park was developed in 1990.
Now there is no need to mope and cry about missing this year’s Jane’s walks. The city of Regina has eighteen self-guided walking tours available here. Enjoy!