The town of Girvin was named after John Girvin, a contractor for many railroad stations west of Winnipeg. The railway preceded the village, built during the 1880s by the Qu’Appelle, Long Lake, and Saskatchewan Railroad and Steamboat Company. Settlement of the area started around 1902. The post office opened April 1st, 1905 and a school followed the same year. A restaurant, lumber yard, butcher, hotel, bank, livery, and blacksmith soon followed. Girvin had three grain elevators by 1915. It was incorporated as a village in 1907. The pump house, constructed in 1906, provided water for horses hauling grain into town. It is the only pump house in Saskatchewan and has been recognized as a Municipal Heritage Property since 1994. Girvin’s population peaked in 1926 at 151. In 1941 it had 93 residents; in the 1950s 140 citizens. Decline began in the 1960s. The school closed in 1970. By the 1980s the only business was a gas station and garage. In 2004 the skating rink collapsed. Today there are twenty residents with no businesses. Girvin relinquished its village status on December 19th, 2005.