Insinger was named after Fredrik Robert Insinger, a politician and rancher from Holland. Settlers first came to the area in 1891. They were mostly Ukrainian, but some Doukhobors did live near Insinger. The railway came to Insinger in 1903 and a village post office was built in 1908. A railroad station was not constructed until 1920. The following year a school was erected and the village was incorporated. The Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of the Descent of the Holy Ghost was built in 1942. From 1930 to 1960, Insinger had over 100 residents. Its peak population was 135 in 1956. It boasted 4 general stores, a hall, a rink , 2 garages, a hotel, and cafe in 1955. The decline of the village began in the 1960s, with the closure of the school in 1967. Its population was 72 in 1971, 56 in 1976, 39 in 1981, and no more than 20 people today. Insinger’s grain elevators were demolished in 1999.