A post office opened on a farm in the Neelby vicinity in 1904. Later, John Miller took over and moved the post into his store located in the townsite. The Neelby School was built by W.R. Webb of Broadview and opened on November 15th, 1905. The CPR laid track through the area in 1906 and 1907. This branch ran from Reston, Manitoba to Wolseley, Saskatchewan and was completed in 1908. There was a portable station in Neelby. The train on this track was dubbed “The Peanut”. The tale is that the train’s whistle reminded one settler of a peanut vendor’s whistle in England. In 1914 Maple Leaf Milling Company Limited established the first grain elevator. A second elevator was constructed by the British America Elevator Company in 1923. Both were eventually sold to the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool. A proposed layout of Neelby shows two hundred and ten lots on a grid of streets and avenues five by four north of the tracks.
Neelby was never established as a hamlet and faced competition from Kipling, only a couple miles to the northeast. Kipling quickly became the more popular business centre. It had the advantage of being on the Canadian National Railway line connecting Regina to Winnipeg. Neelby’s post office closed in 1908. By 1938 there was discussion of the CPR abandoning the line through Neelby. The company eventually did in 1961. Both elevators closed in 1965. The Neelby School closed in 1960. Students were then bussed to Windthorst or Kipling. The rail station is now located at the Kipling Museum. All that remains of Neelby is the two grain elevators.