Ellisboro, Saskatchewan

During the 1870s the crossing of the Qu’Appelle River north of Wolseley was know as the Racette’s Crossing. It was named after a local servant of the Hudson Bay’s Company. This was part of the Carlton Trail which connected the Red River Colony to Fort Carlton. The area just south of the crossing was settled by Joseph Hoskins Ellis from Guelph, Ontario in 1881. He … Continue reading Ellisboro, Saskatchewan

Insinger, Saskatchewan

Insinger was named after Fredrik Robert Insinger, a politician and rancher from Holland. Settlers first came to the area in 1891. They were mostly Ukrainian, but some Doukhobors did live near Insinger. The railway came to Insinger in 1903 and a village post office was built in 1908. A railroad station was not constructed until 1920. The following year a school was erected and the … Continue reading Insinger, Saskatchewan

Girvin, Saskatchewan

The town of Girvin was named after John Girvin, a contractor for many railroad stations west of Winnipeg. The railway preceded the village, built during the 1880s by the Qu’Appelle, Long Lake, and Saskatchewan Railroad and Steamboat Company. Settlement of the area started around 1902. The post office opened April 1st, 1905 and a school followed the same year. A restaurant, lumber yard, butcher, hotel, … Continue reading Girvin, Saskatchewan

Jedburgh, Saskatchewan

Jedburgh was first settled by Scottish and Ukrainian immigrants in the early 1900s. The post office was established 5 miles southwest of the town and named after the first mailman’s birthplace in Scotland, Jedburgh. In 1928 CN built a railroad through the town and subsequently the post office was moved to the village giving it its name. Soon four elevators were built and a one … Continue reading Jedburgh, Saskatchewan

Pasqua, Saskatchewan

Pasqua comes from the Cree word “paskwaw” meaning prairie. The Canadian Pacific Railway was built in 1893 through Pasqua, the same time a post office was established in the area. In 1903 a train station was built. At least one elevator operated in Pasqua, built around 1933-4. It was demolished some time between 1975 and 1995. In 1969 the post office closed. The existing train … Continue reading Pasqua, Saskatchewan

Candiac, Saskatchewan

The Candiac area was first settled by the Scottish in 1885. Some French families followed in 1893. Around 1896 Poles and Ukrainians made the area their home. The Canadian Northern Railway was built in 1908. The next year a post office was established. The Polish hoped the hamlet would be called Sobieski, but the name Candiac was chosen instead. St. Joseph’s Catholic Church was first … Continue reading Candiac, Saskatchewan